Why Komen Central Valley?
This webpage was created to educate volunteers, donors, grantees and the general public by providing in-depth, honest and useful information regarding how your donation of time, talents and dollars are a worthwhile investment into our community and the promise to end breast cancer forever.
Much of the public believes that all pink ribbons are the same, but this is not true. Please read below to learn how Susan G. Komen® Central Valley is different and how your donation, no matter how large or small can be a part of big change.
• Local Grant Programs
• Grassroots Volunteerism
• Three-Star Rated Charity
• Dedicated to Breast Cancer Only
Our goal is to protect our good name (reputation) by which you have come to know us. When working with community partners in third party events in which proceeds from the event benefits the Central Valley Affiliate, we follow the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance guidelines, our national organization’s branding guidelines, Internal Revenue requirements and risk management insurance requirements. Events or promotions must clearly state a specific percentage of net revenue or a specific dollar amount that will be contributed to the Central Valley Affiliate.
Local Grant Programs
Susan G. Komen® is the only breast cancer organization where 75% of funds raised stays in our community and goes directly to local services and resources for local residents through our community grants. The remaining 25% of the funds raised goes directly to Komen National Breast Cancer Research and Awards Program. Visit our grants page
Komen Central Valley grant funds are restricted to breast cancer programs to non-profit organizations. Every two years, In order to ensure that local funding addresses the unmet breast health needs in Fresno County, the Komen Central Valley Affiliate conducts a community needs assessment to determine where gaps in breast cancer services exist to guide the selection of local grant recipients and the design of special projects for collaboration. These awards help bridge these gaps for hospitals, clinics, support groups and other organizations supporting breast cancer education, screening, diagnostic procedures, treatment and support services throughout Fresno County. For additional information, please review our complete Komen Central Valley Community Profile
Komen Central Valley has invested $3 million in local lifesaving programs of education screening and treatment with $1 support of the Komen National Breast Cancer Research Programs.
• Our Affiliate operates daily through grassroots volunteers with a limited paid staff of 1.5.
• 12 board members, who create and follow a strategic plan based on our mission.
• 40+ Race for the Cure committee members, the Central Valley Race for the Cure, a largest annual fundraiser, is entirely volunteer-run.
• 250+ grassroots volunteers who assist on-site at events, secure donations of goods or services, and help do whatever is needed!
• Interested in general volunteering or being a leader, volunteer TODAY!
Dedicated to Breast Cancer Only
• As a predominately grassroots volunteer organization, we know we can’t be all things to all people. Our organizational success is based on volunteers giving their time and talent to be leaders. Thus, we address one cancer...breast cancer. We take one cause and fight it to the best of our ability. Our volunteers are united and passionate because breast cancer has touched their lives at some point to someone they care about.
• Susan G. Komen® is the world’s largest private funder of breast cancer research and community health programs. With more than $2.2 billion invested to date.
• Every major advance in the fight against breast cancer has been touched by Susan G. Komen.
• The promise of Susan G. Komen® is to energize science to find the cures.